Sunday, February 14, 2016

What a short visit to Youghal beach can do...

Last Thursday I had an 'IWA Outreach Day' with fellow member Sarah, and two staff members, to Youghal.
Two puppets (my "reporter" and Miriam's Monk) came along for the ride. They attracted the attention of passers by and of a puppy, who had never seen/felt sand before and I am sure had never experienced a puppet just about taller than himself either.

     

While the photo's were being taken further up the beach, I got out of my wheelchair, carefully got my legs over the top step and enjoyed the tranquil sound of the water, the smells, the rolling waves.
Loving it! 
To my left I spotted seaweed, with lovely shaped pieces perfect for a 'hat' or 'hair' for a sculpture-to-be... some day. Miriam helped me to pick one out.



Over the past few days I made this little sculpture.
I already had the base of the head on which to build. I found a beautiful rock in my studio- perfect for the bust. Not having brought home seaweed, I found some dried dillisk in my cupboard to use as a'shawl'. I devised a way to make the clay look like stone.
Still some finishing touches and varnishing to do, but oh, did I enjoy making this, bringing out the peace and happiness I felt sitting on top of those steps at Youghal beach.

"Tranquility at Youghal Beach" © Corina Duyn 2016 15x17x7cm
"Tranquility at Youghal Beach" (back)  © Corina Duyn 2016 15x17x7cm

No comments: